Monday, September 17, 2012

What Goes Around...

I just read the most wonderful message from my Mom, which got me thinking...

I'M TURNING INTO MY MOTHER!

I know there are some people who would put that statement in all caps because it is the most god-awful thought ever conceived. (My 16-year-old self would be one of those people.)

I was delighted.  I couldn't imagine a better, more positive, more caring role model for me, and now she will be that for Beck and Ashley.

How did I come to this realization?  Over three button snaps.  Or more precisely, over a major diaper blow-out.  You see, as my Mom was helping to clean up one of the most epic poopy messes of all time, she counted the snaps on Ash's clean onesie as she closed them.  And in between helping to clean up the mess and throwing away the wipes, I paused just long enough to realize that in recent days, I'd been doing that too.  I saw my Mom mirror so many other things I'd already been doing- the running commentary ("Now I'm filling the bottle, now I'm closing the bottle..."), the bouncing- sure, there are many other mothers out there who do the same, but the way she did it; I can't explain how it just was the same.

 Maybe I don't necessarily laugh the same way as she does, or have the exact same sense of humor, or whatever else makes us (duh!) different human beings.  But the fact that I mother like my mother makes me proud and humbled all at the same time.

No comments: